Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My Amazing Weekend

Thanks to Ashely you guys are getting this post. I had not decided how to post my weekend experience... because I have zero notes. To me that's just odd. Usually I have pages upon pages of what I experienced. So some of you who do not visit my Facebook are wondering what happened. Only one of the most amazing experiences in my life. On Friday I was honored to attend a meeting called by President Monson to be held by Elder Bednar, Elder Anderson and Elder Zwick. Unfortunately due to some illness Keith was unable to attend and took care of the two ill little ones. Thanks hubby-sand. So I'm there and there are over 1400 other young singles and young marrieds, along with a few infants...

I sit there so excited for the talks to come. I pull out my iPhone and my favorite note application... so here's my notes:

Young Adult Mtng Reno NV 5/15/2009
Elder Bednar
1.

(everyone who has pda's, pens, paper or anyother device to take notes put them away, I do not want you to miss anything the spirit has to teach you.)

Yea, that's it. Then following that Elder Bednar told us that they were here not to give talks but to answer any questions we may have. From that I new I had a questions bothering me. However there was no way that this completely personal question was going to be asked especially since it was regarding someone who was there. I watched as some people asked questions. The first was a young lady who is a convert, and is getting married this year. I guess she has the unfortunate experience of having people around her telling her that she needs to prepare for the Second Coming. Also telling her that she need not spend money on a wedding since food storage is more important. Well after the settling down of laughter that erupted. Elder Bednar sweetly said, it was up to us to prepare ourselves spiritually, but not one person knows when that day will be. We need to prepare ourselves in the best way we can, even if that means one extra can of beans at a time. We do not need to go out of our way to have a year's worth of food storage, if we do not have the means to do it.

Another question that stuck out was one of a young 32 yr old young man who stood up and said with some pain was "I'm 32 years old and single. I want to find my place in the church. I've tried going to a single's ward and I'm out of place. I've tried going to a family ward and I'm out of place." Elder Bednar put his arm around this young man and said so sweetly 'You have a place in this church. Never feel that just because of your marital status. You do.' Then I forget if it was Elder Andersen or Elder Zwick but he so lovingly said "All those women in the audiance between the ages of 27 and 32 please stand. (we all laughed) He then proceeded to tell of how wonderful and pure this young man's heart is. Him standing up and saying that was true to show his heart was pure and worthy'. He then told this young man to keep true to who he is and that he will find peace in who he is and not to feel pressure of his peers.

Another young woman stood up with an infant in her arms saying that she was a young mother of 5 and wants to know how to balance work, church and family because she feels that if she focuses on one the others will feel that they lack the attention. Elder Bednar then told all of us "there is no such thing as multitasking. It does not exist." If you give 100% attention to one thing others will not have that attention, and that is okay.

Upon the end of our time he asked everyone that had a question, it was not asked by anyone else, and they received an answer to please raise their hand. An overwhelming amount of people raised their hands, and I realized then was he was going to say.

Their reason for coming was not to teach us any lesson or principle. Their reason for visiting was to help us understand that we can always receive and answer to our questions by listening to the spirit.

At the end we were all allowed to walk up and shake their hands.

It was amazing night. I'm so grateful for them visiting us.

We also had the honor of had the honor of having Elder Zwick to preside over our special stake confrence. It was amazing. We had wonderful talks and one challange from Elder Zwick. Two of the talks were given by President and Sister Moyle the temple president and matron of the Reno temple. I had the spirit speak to me. I know the importance of the temple. Personally I have the desire to attend the temple once each month for six months fromt he challange that was issued to us. The challange that was given was: Read the Book of Mormon and write a one page paper, do this as many times as you can within six months. So I'm reading a lot lately.

By the way I got to sing in Stake confrence. Meaning I got to sit up on the stand the entire time... was a little nerve racking.

I love you all and hope you enjoyed that as much as I did.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! That is awesome! I'm glad you got to be there for that! Thanks for sharing what you learned.

Stacey said...

That is reallly cool River. What an awesome experience. Thank you for sharing. It seems like we always seem to get what we need exactly when we need it... spiritual or otherwise.