Sunday, July 12, 2009

Girl's Camp


So I've been gone for a week (for those of you who don't facebook). I've enjoyed/endured a week at beautiful Buck's Lake. I was asked to be a tent mom for the first year girls. I have to admit I was a little scared at first I mean, 12 yr olds. I only have one beehive in my class and she's going to be a mia maid next month! I'm glad to have older girls because I'm not much on patience. However, these girls were AMAZING!!! Not one complained about getting out of bed by 6:30, which is more than I can say for our YCL (who happened to be one of my laurels). I was greatful for their excitment and determination. Every girl was excited to get up and do the POLAR BEAR PLUNGE. The Polar Bear Plunge was jumping in the lake at "NO NO Beach" at 6:30 every morning, except for the day we left. Every girl was up and down at the beach in record time, to hopefully get a warm shower after. It was fun, but I must say the water was warmer than the air. It was a nice teambuilding thing as we promised (including me) that we would all do it everyday together. We all won awards for doing it everyday. I apparently won a Hardcore Polar Bear Prize. Probably because I didn't want to get out of the water. I had a different bathroom than the girls so I had less of a fight for a shower. We enjoyed learning a lot of things together, including:

how to cook biscuts on a stick,

















making omlets in a ziplock bag,

how to treat a 1st degree burn, and how not to run near a fire (she's okay).



We also learned that taking a double dose of Benadryl helps you not be afarid to conqure the rock wall,





and we learned how to work together to conqure the "copes course",

we learned we are truly sisters and are willing to do all we can to keep one another on the straight and narrow. We learned that we can strengthen our testimonies of Jesus Christ throughout our lives. we know that our Father in Heaven wanted us to know that our mission in life is possible, but we can't hold it inside and not share it with the world. I'm greatful for the blessing of being in the Young Women's program and for all that they do, they teach me even more than I can ever teach them. Before I thought teaching principles and history would help them understand where we come from. Now I know they are learning for themselves who they are.
I look forward to this week, I'll get to see one of the older girls. It will be a blast! I'm just sad that our wards are so far apart. Each ward is about 1-2 hours away. We are the only one's building. Every other building has 1 to 2 wards in it. I miss all my girls already and wish they could all be in my ward.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Fun! Just curious though... how were you a tent mom with no tent?

River Hopkins said...

hahahahaha... I did sleep in a tent it was the girls who slept outside. The last day I did sleep outside with them to have the experience. It wasn't that bad.